How Is Monkeypox Transmitted – Monkeypox has put one of the biggest risks to the health of Americans. For more than 50 years, every health expert around the world thought that monkeypox was just limited to a few countries in Africa. Apart from that, health experts also believe that it is more common in countries where sanitization is not good.
Their misunderstanding was busted when the monkeypox virus started spreading in Western countries, including the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, Spain, France, and Germany. Along with these countries, the monkeypox virus has spread in more than 75 countries in the world.
The positive cases of the monkeypox virus are increasing at rapid speed in countries where it was never seen. Right knowledge regarding the virus can help you ensure your safety along with the safety of your friends and family. Keeping that in mind, today, we are here to discuss how monkeypox is transmitted and how you can easily ensure your safety.
What is the monkeypox virus?
Monkeypox virus was first diagnosed back in the 1950s, then two colonies of monkeys kept for research started showing symptoms like a pox disease. It was the first time when health experts detected the virus and then named it monkeypox because it was found in colonies of monkeys.
The first human case of the monkeypox virus was diagnosed back in the 1970s in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Monkeypox Virus is also related to cowpox and chicken pox. This time a lot of people have also started talking about declaring the monkeypox virus as a sexually transmitted disease. The reason behind their demand is its origin.
The first few cases of monkeypox virus word detected in a gay club in the United Kingdom where men have intercourse with other men. Joe Biden has already declared the monkeypox virus a National Health emergency on August 4th, 2022.
Transmission of monkeypox virus
Before we move ahead, monkeypox is not a sexually transmitted disease even though the first few hundred cases of monkeypox virus were reported by men who had intercourse with other men in the United Kingdom.
Health experts around the world, including World Health Organization, have already made it clear that the monkeypox virus is not a sexually transmitted disease or infection. It can affect anyone, and even in history, it has affected.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention of the United States have also issued statements regarding similar issues. You also mentioned several things which can cause the monkeypox virus.
- The CDC lets everyone not have any close contact with the person who is already struggling with the monkeypox virus.
- Bodily fluids or touching infected materials like clothing and bedding can also spread the virus, and you should be very careful while helping an infected person.
- Monkeypox virus is not airborne like COVID-19. That is why the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention did not ask anyone to wear a mask unless they are already infected with the monkeypox virus.
- Kindly take full precautions while you are helping any ill animal. Materials used by infected animals can also spread viruses to humans.
- The monkeypox virus can also spread through intimate contacts, such as touching the genitals.
- You should also try not to hug, massage or kiss anyone who has been infected or is suspected to be infected case of the monkeypox virus.
- Kindly limit your number of intimate partners, and do not have any close contact with someone whose sexual history is unknown to you.
- The CDC has already made it clear that pregnant women can also spread the virus to their unborn babies.
Apart from the above-given conclusions, health experts are still searching for several questions, including can the virus spread even if someone does not have any symptoms whatsoever.
The Centers for Disease control and prevention is also working on whether the monkeypox virus can spread through semen, urine, feces, and vaginal fluids. For more updates on similar issues, kindly keep checking the official platform of the CDC.
Prevention of monkeypox virus
Before we move ahead, let’s first take a look at some of the preventive measures for the monkeypox virus. There are not many treatment options available for monkeypox infection, and the vaccine is also very limited in the United States, so it becomes very important for you to take a look at every precaution.
- Keep washing your hands at regular intervals with soap and water, or you can also use alcohol-based hand sanitizers.
- If you are traveling in central and western Africa, then avoid getting in contact with wild animals that can spread the monkeypox virus
- Rodents and primates are among the most infected animals in those areas.
- Kindly do not try to help any sick or dead animal without using full protective gear. Animals can also spread the monkeypox virus through their body and bedding.
- Kindly do not touch any material used by the infected person, including utensils, bedding, and clothing.
- Kindly limit your intimate partners and consult everything regarding the monkeypox virus with your current partner.
- Avoid getting any skin-to-skin contact with someone who has already been infected with a virus.
- Avoid eating any uncooked or less cooked meat while you are in African regions.
- If you are eligible, then you should get a vaccine for the monkeypox virus as early as possible. It is a two-dose vaccine, and you will be considered fully vaccinated after two weeks of taking the vaccine.
Can the monkeypox virus also affect children?
Yes, monkeys, but viruses can spread and affect children. Due to its latest outbreak, a lot of people believe the monkeypox virus is a sexually transmitted disease that affects men who like to have intercourse with other men. Their whole belief is completely wrong, and the first human case of the monkeypox virus in the world was detected in a child.